2012年12月5日星期三

'I don't want Mommy to die': Brooke Burke-Charvet's heartbreak as she tells her four children she has thyroid cancer

She revealed last month that she is suffering from thyroid cancer in a video posted on her blog.
And now Brooke Burke-Charvet has told of the difficult moment she had to tell her children about her diagnosis.
The 41-year-old, who is married to former Baywatch actor David Charvet, took to her Modern Mom blog to describe how her family reacted when she sat her daughter Rain, five, and son Shaya, four, and her two children from her previous marriage, Neriah, 12, and Sierra, 10, down to explain her illness.
Heartbreaking: Brooke Burke-Charvet has recalled the moment her daughter Neriah, far left, cried when she told her she had thyroid cancer
Heartbreaking: Brooke Burke-Charvet has recalled the moment her daughter Neriah, far left, cried when she told her she had thyroid cancer
'I decided not to tell my children about my diagnosis for as long as I possibly could because I didn't want them to worry,' she wrote on Wednesday.
'I know that my younger ones still don't have a great concept of time and I didn't want them to be anxious, worried and asking 1,000 questions.'
In it together: Brooke poses with her husband David last month in Las Vegas
In it together: Brooke poses with her husband David last month in Las Vegas
Brooke revealed that her eldest daughter Neriah cried upon learning of her mother's illness.
'She was really scared and concerned,' she explained. 'She cried, and her biggest fear was if I was going to be OK.'
Likewise, her son Shaya was also extremely scared about his mother's condition.
'My son is four, and I doubt he totally understands. His response was, "Is Daddy going to get it too?" And of course I explained that wasn't going to happen and Mommy was going to be just fine,' she wrote.
'He laid in bed last night with David, kinda sad and said, "I don't want Mommy to die….." That's the stuff that breaks my heart and scares me.
'We both held him and told him that I wasn't going to leave him ever. I know that my surgery is not that serious, but kids get scared, hear "hospital" and go to the darkest place. Poor little guy.'
Meanwhile, Brooke's younger daughter Sierra took the news a little better.
'My 10-year-old processes things very differently,' she wrote.
'She's very factual and scientific and her response was "Ok, Mommy so you're going to get the lump removed, so that's a good thing." Sierra left it at that and never brought my surgery up again.'
Brooke also explains how she has prepared her family for while she is gone in hospital.
'So I've stocked the house up, I've done all my grocery shopping, I've made a few meals and the fridge is stocked with leftovers,' she wrote.

没有评论:

发表评论